Annual prayer walk draws more than 200

A little more than 200 people of all ages turned out for the sixth annual prayer walk for Mexia schools Wednesday evening. The people circled the schools, located between Ross Avenue and Bailey Street, stopping at each campus to pray for blessings and protection for the students, teachers and administrators.

By Roxanne McKnight, Staff Writer

A crowd of a little over 200 made the sixth annual prayer walk around Mexia schools Wednesday evening, asking for divine blessings and protection on the schools.
The unstructured event saw a predominance of students, but also many adults – parents, teachers and administrators, even one board member and the superintendent – turn out for the prayer walk.
Students who were willing volunteered to pray aloud at the school they would attend when school starts Monday.
The crowd gathered at 6 p.m. at Mexia First Assembly of God, which is across the street from R.Q. Sims Intermediate School. After an opening prayer by Pastor Brian Hallmark, the people streamed down the street to the high school, stopping at the brick sign with the Blackcat image in front of the school.
After the prayers were said there, the group moved to Mexia Junior High, where dozens of students lifted up their school in prayer.

To read more, pick up a copy of Saturday's The Mexia News, or subscribe to our e-edition.