Pre-dawn fire Saturday destroys Mexia home
By Brenda Sommer
There were no injuries in a Saturday morning fire well before dawn that destroyed a home in south Mexia.
Mexia Fire Department was called out at 2:03 a.m. Sept. 14 to a fire at 501 E. Travis, which is at the corner of Bonham and Travis, adjacent to the city rodeo arena’s parking lot.
The home belongs to Zolita Freeman Busby, who was out of town at a religious meeting in Dallas when the blaze broke out.
Fire Chief Clayton Shivers said the fire made it into the older, wooden home’s attic and took off quickly from there. Firemen didn’t clear the scene until 4:54 a.m., but had to return later to extinguish a smoldering mattress.
To read more, pick up a copy of Tuesday's Mexia News, or subscribe to our e-edition.