Ladycats softball ready to take field
By Stephen R. Farris
Mexia News Sports
The Ladycats softball team will have a new look this season as Courtney Adams takes over as head coach.
Adams, an assistant on last year’s team, replaces former head coach Steve Hogan in only her second year at Mexia.
So far, with a couple of scrimmage’s under their belts, Adams feels this year’s team is looking a lot stronger and should be solidified even more when basketball season is completed.
Senior Dashia Forge returns as the primary pitcher for the team. Forge finished the 2013 campaign with an 11-10 record and a 4.01 earned run average.
“I saw a lot of improvement with her last year,” said Adams. “I didn’t start her out in our first scrimmage, but she did come in later and did really well.”
Joining Forge on the diamond are returning starters Mackenzie Bain (shortstop), Cheyenne Thompson (catcher/shortstop), Tyesha Johnson (second base, third base, SS) and Alexis Molina (first base/utility).
To read more, pick up a copy of Tuesday's The Mexia News, or subscribe to our e-edition.
- Blackcats take No. 4 seed after 4-3 loss to Fairfield
- Ladycats stay tough through five innings before falling to Lady Eagles
- Blackcats split back-to-back district baseball games
- Mexia track teams perform well at district track meet
- Mexia competes in one final meet before district gathering Wednesday in Palestine