By Roxanne Thompson
A Mexia family’s electronic toy turned dangerous Sunday night when their self-balancing smart scooter, often called a hoverboard, caught fire while it was recharging.
Three Mexia Fire Department fire trucks and an EMS unit were called on March 19 at 9:16 p.m. about the fire, at 207 S. Canton; they arrived at 9:20.
A firefighter among those responding said the family was recharging the device in the living room and saw it catch fire. The damage inside, he said, was mainly smoke damage and carpet burns where the hoverboard had been sitting.
Firefighters pulled the device out the front door and onto the sidewalk in front of the house.
To read more of this story, pick up a copy of Tuesday's edition of The Mexia News. Subscribe online or call 254-562-2868.